Choosing the best grass for your garden and needs can be a daunting experience as you have to consider the factors in planting it. So, the million-dollar question is, “What is the easiest ornamental grass to grow?” Commonly known as Morning Light, this amazing perennial plant with the scientific name Miscanthus Sinensis is the easiest ornamental grass to grow in your garden and yard. These grasses require minimal maintenance and you do not need to use fertilizers to make them grow and mature beautifully.
Maiden grass is a type of tall ornamental grass that is found in many parts of the world. It is a tall, green plant that can grow up to 6 feet in height. The leaves are long, narrow and pointed at one end. The flowers are small and white-pink in color and they have a long tube-like structure with three petals.
The name “maiden grass” comes from the Latin name “pennisetum”, which means feather or winged grass. This name was given because the leaves resemble feathers or wings when they are blown by the wind.
Growing Maiden Grass ‘Morning Light’
If you want to grow a morning light maiden grass properly, you have to consider the following factors:
- Sunlight: These grasses are best in full sun and can tolerate partial sun. They are intolerant of shade though it will persist in sparsely forested areas and small openings.
- Soil: They can grow on any variety of soils. You can also mix the soil from clay, sand, loam, and chalk. However, they are best in a moist and well-drained environment if you want to reach their maximum growth potential in 2 years.
- Growth: They can grow at a maximum of 6 feet tall; their mature spread is 3 feet to 4 feet wide.
- Water: The Morning Light Maiden Grass needs constant watering weekly and daily during the hot season.
- Plum Season: These amazing grasses can bloom during Late summer or Early fall.
Advantages of growing Miscanthus Sinensis
- They attract birds and can bear reddish and pink-silver plumes during late summer, early to late winter, and fall seasons. These plumes will turn grey to tan to provide seed for birds and other wildlife.
- These grasses can grow new foliage every year and the process of dividing them is very easy. You can use a root shovel with grated edges to dig the bottom of the grass but be careful not to cut the roots. Trimming them down is also easy. You just need a hedge trimmer and trim them based on your desired size or design.
- Since they have a good nutrient cycle according to the scientists, they can even grow in stressful environments and have the ability to propagate easily.
The disadvantage of growing Miscanthus Sinensis
- These grasses are extremely flammable and can increase the fire risks of invaded areas, so be careful during the summer season and in forest fire-prone areas.
Uses of Morning Light Maiden Grass
- Privacy/Border Plant
- Dried Flower
- Mass Planting
- Specimen or Focal Point
Other Interesting Facts
- Nowadays, it is so popular and widely used globally due to its finely textured, arch-like blades that give the plant a fountain-like appearance that is perfect for any area.
- Miscanthus plants have 6 species of grasses but the most popular and the easiest to grow is the Miscanthus Sinensis or the Morning Light.